30 ways to encourage a love of reading.
- Read a favourite story.
- Take turns reading and listening.
- Point at the words when you read.
- Talk about the favourite parts of the story.
- Have fun picking out the words.
- Look at the pictures and move to the next page when you want.
- Read several stories every day.
- Get older children to read to younger children
- Look for things your children likes.
- Read all sorts of things; comics, magazines, leaflets.
- Find words in menus, food labels, road signs.
- Read for a purpose; follow instructions or recipes.
- Teach children rhymes and songs.
- Read a joke in a joke book.
- Read the instructions to play a game.
- Read poetry and other writing styles.
- Add dance moves and hand gestures.
- Support reading and writing through play.
- After a day out write a story.
- Put on a show.
- Find a comfortable place to sit and read.
- Store books on a special shelf or in a special box..
- Set aside a special time each day to enjoy books.
- Read together or separately.
- Turn off the T.V. and read quietly.
- Use a book mark to come back and continue another time.
- If you don’t like a book try another.
- Visit a place of interest.
- Visit a library.
- Look at books in a bookshop.
I am sure you can think of lots of other things too!
My Lego and I
Over the years my Lego bricks have certainly increased in …
An Island Blog Tour
Jay-Jay the Supersonic bus is off again? …
I Believe in Fairy Magic
Reading is a magical adventure and who better to spread …
Bus Journey Blog Blitz
What can I say other than, ‘What a pleasant surprise!’