30 ways to encourage a love of reading.
- Read a favourite story.
- Take turns reading and listening.
- Point at the words when you read.
- Talk about the favourite parts of the story.
- Have fun picking out the words.
- Look at the pictures and move to the next page when you want.
- Read several stories every day.
- Get older children to read to younger children
- Look for things your children likes.
- Read all sorts of things; comics, magazines, leaflets.
- Find words in menus, food labels, road signs.
- Read for a purpose; follow instructions or recipes.
- Teach children rhymes and songs.
- Read a joke in a joke book.
- Read the instructions to play a game.
- Read poetry and other writing styles.
- Add dance moves and hand gestures.
- Support reading and writing through play.
- After a day out write a story.
- Put on a show.
- Find a comfortable place to sit and read.
- Store books on a special shelf or in a special box..
- Set aside a special time each day to enjoy books.
- Read together or separately.
- Turn off the T.V. and read quietly.
- Use a book mark to come back and continue another time.
- If you don’t like a book try another.
- Visit a place of interest.
- Visit a library.
- Look at books in a bookshop.
I am sure you can think of lots of other things too!
Coronavirus and me
Am I the only person not worried about lockdown? …
Sparky the Dragon Bus - Blog Tour
The wheels on the bus certainly do go round and …
Sparky the Dragon Bus - Cover Reveal
Sparky the Dragon bus is finally on the road. Her …
A Spooky Tale - Blog Tour
A Spooky Tale was a story I had written with …